Transportation Technician Senior, Materials section
Do you want to make a difference and be part of an award-winning agency, dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in Idaho through transportation?
At the Idaho Transportation Department, every employee is critical to the mission and we strive to foster an innovative, collaborative workplace where employees can grow and do their best work.
The Idaho Transportation Department is hiring a Transportation Technician Senior for our District 2 Materials team located in Lewiston, Idaho This is an entry-level position, the first step in the Transportation Technician Engineering Career Path series. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, enthusiastic learner, and constructive team member.
This position is the first step in the Transportation Technician Senior Horizontal Career Path series.
ITD has created horizontal career paths in order to create high-caliber technicians and better career advancement opportunities for our employees. We encourage our employees to be authentic and provide them with a meaningful welcoming environment where all opinions are valued, celebrated, and respected. Diversity of thought and unique perspectives drive innovation, engagement, and retention, which makes ITD better and brings value to our communities.
This is a career that provides an opportunity to be a part of a variety of public infrastructure development projects in a region that has a rapidly changing landscape. With ITD’s horizontal career path, you will be able to gain experience in developing and constructing highway projects and focus on what you enjoy best! Employees are encouraged to find what works best for them, utilizing their strengths and providing them control of their career path in this booming industry.
The Transportation Technician Senior Horizontal Career Path consists of 3 steps. Wages increase after the successful completion of each step in the career path as outlined below:
- Starting wage: $23.33
- Completion of Step One: $25.14
- Completion of Step Two: $27.65
- Completion of Step Three: $30.51
Example of Duties:
- Performs laboratory tests on a variety of construction materials (asphalt, concrete, aggregate, etc.) to ensure compliance with various requirements, plans, specifications, and contracts.
- Determines if test results are in compliance with applicable construction plans, specifications, standards and contracts
- Uses specialized instruments and equipment such as nuclear and electronic instruments; calibrates and adjusts instruments to compensate for changing conditions; performs routine cleaning, maintenance and servicing of assigned equipment.
- Performs precise mathematical calculations related to materials testing; prepares data sheets and graphical representation of test results/data.
- Communicates verbally and in writing with supervisors and coworkers, County and outside agency representatives, contractors, and consulting firms.
- Data and sample collection for development of Materials Reports and project planning
- Work with a team and receive mentorship for career development
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Determine and conduct appropriate tests based on the type of construction material and project requirements
- Make accurate mathematical calculations
- Read blueprints, plans, and specifications
- Gather data, keep accurate records, and prepare reports and simple drawings
- Detect flaws in construction materials
- Follow verbal and written instructions
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Promote, establish, and maintain effective working relationships