Lead Electrician, British Embassy Washington
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The British Embassy in Washington DC will move into a newly renovated building in December 2022 and is seeking a qualified/certified Lead Electrician to join our Estates team. The Estate Team is responsible for the maintenance and building work for the Embassy and all of the residential properties. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-starter interested in employment with an outstanding organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Quickly familiarise themselves with the new electrical systems throughout the main compound buildings.
- Understanding of electrical code requirements with all work to be in compliance with local electrical codes (DC/MD/VA). Minimal understanding of UK codes. Verifying all electrical system components satisfy code requirements.
- Liaise with the current General Contractor and UK teams on testing and commissioning of new systems ensuring a clean handover to buisness as usual.
- Work with local and UK teams to set up checks and preventative maintenance schedules for all Electrical equipment in all buildings on the Embassy compound.
- Work with the UK Regional Technical Officer and local Accommodations team on property compliance assessments at commercial and residential properties following both UK and US standards. To include inspection of electrical systems and related maintenance at Commercial and Residential properties and in the Washington DC Metropolitan area.
- Work in conjunction with the other Estates Electrician and follow relevant work practices and standards.
- Ability to interpret blueprints.
- Installing, connecting, inspecting and repairing electrical systems.
- Respond to service calls for electrical repairs.
- Complete electrical aspects of minor refurbishment project work.
- Provide in-house electrical support to contractors on large-scale project work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 1 x Electrician
Standard 40 hour week. Monday to Friday 0730 – 1600. Occasional overtime. Requirement to be part of the on-call team.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
• Applicants should have a minimum of 3 year’s experience as a Master or Journeyman qualified/certified Electrician.
• OSHA 10 certification is preferable on appointment and a requirement within 3 months of employment.
• A minimum of five years practical experience is also required with verifiable knowledge of NEC codes.
Essential on arrival: Master or Journeyman Certification as an Electrician
Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
6 December 2022
Executive Officer (EO)
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Americas, Caribbean & Overseas Territories
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
30 January 2023
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work. *A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defense Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance. Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor before they apply to a different position. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed. The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
After the initial interview candidates will be invited to return to the Embassy for an in-person practical test on basic Electrical requirements.