Accountant I - Operations
The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Division and Financial Operations Team is seeking a candidate with great analytical skills and attention to detail for an Accountant I position. If you possess these skills and have a desire to kickstart a great career, then this is the position for you! Apply today and join us in our mission of "Helping People Live Better Lives!"
Successful candidates will have experience in financial management, interpreting federal and state regulations, and posses a familiarity for a variety of financial databases.
What we can offer you:
• Stable Employment Opportunity
• Career Development and Learning, including LinkedIn Learning subscription
• Tuition Reimbursement
• 156% match of first 4.8% contribution to Retirement Plan
• 13 Paid Holidays
• Generous Leave Accruals and benefits
DHHS State of Nebraska values our employees as well as a supportive environment that strives to promote Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging. We recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job qualifications and at all levels without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or genetics.
For more information about the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services and the Division of Operations, please visit our website, http://dhhs.ne.gov.
$14.347 -$21.150 per hour, Pay rate may be commensurate with education and/or experience within fiscal constraints, if approved.
Location: Nebraska State Office Building
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Examples of Work
In this position, the Accountant I, will perform, but will not be limited to, the following job duties:
• Evaluates accounting documents received for conformance with agency policies and procedures or contract requirements; initiates and approves payments.
• Extracts and compiles financial data from vouchers, ledgers, journals, computer printouts or system files to facilitate the preparation of standard reports and statements and to provide data to management for analysis.
• Develops, prepares and maintains spreadsheets and reports to track and/or monitor the process of financial transactions; compiles information and provides to management for analysis.
• Process Accounts Payable invoices and contract payments through OnBase into the Enterprise One (NIS) voucher system.
• Apply proper coding to ensure accurate financial statement presentation of receipts and disbursements.
• Prepares billing documents, invoices and other financial forms; records transactions into one or more accounting/financial management systems.
• Posts data to ledgers, journals, and worksheets to establish and maintain records of all financial transactions.
Qualifications / Requirements
Post high school coursework or vocational education in accounting, finance, business administration or related field OR experience performing accounting functions including interpreting and analyzing financial data.
Associates Degree in Accounting or Finance related field,
Experience in data input in Enterprise One (E-1) and proficiency with Microsoft Office.
Experience with OnBase data program, NFOCUS and MMIS a plus.
Experience processing Out of State Travel Authorizations (OSTA's) and Direct Billing Authorizations (DBAs).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: the principles and practices of double entry accounting concepts and procedures; clerical accounting methods, forms and techniques; the methods of filing and maintaining accounting records; mathematical functions related to accounting processes; word processing and spreadsheet computer software program.
Skill in: Gathering and compiling data into spreadsheets or data bases. The position requires high attention to details and follow up skills.