Summary: Reporting to the Controller, the Accounting/ Payroll Associate supports the Senior Accountant with the daily accounting operations of the finance department and a daily focus supporting the Accounts Payable and cash management with the Finance Associate to ensure accuracy and timeliness of 300+ weekly payments. Also supports the Payroll Specialist in weekly and bi-weekly payroll processing and reconciliations.
- Support Accounts Payable process
- Ensure data integrity of accounting postings
- Process weekly Accounts Payable disbursements
- Staff support for accounting software issues
- Support staff corporate credit card tracking and reporting
- Maintain vendor relations
- Reconcile assigned balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Support expense recognition (accrual and prepaid expenses)
- Support Payroll Process
- Serves as back-up for the Payroll Specialist
- Acts as 2nd approver on payroll on a weekly basis
- Assists in month end reconciliations for payroll related deductions and benefits
- Reconciles payroll related finance accounts on a monthly basis
- Works with Accounts Payable to ensure timely pay outs and reissues of all payroll related deductions and benefits
- General Department Responsibilities
- Support the monthly and year-end close process
- Support annual audit schedule preparation
- Ad-hoc reporting
- Process incoming mail (invoices, checks, etc.)
- Coursework in finance/accounting or equivalent work experience
- Experience with accounting software
- Familiarity with Payroll processes and platforms
- At least two years of related experience
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Proficient in Financial Edge NXT or similar accounting software
- Familiarity with Concur and ADP Workplace preferred
- Foundational familiarity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
This is a non-exempt full-time position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act with an annual salary of $65,000 and is available immediately. The Public Theater supports flexible and hybrid work arrangements. Options can be discussed during the interview process.
COVID-19 and Vaccination Policy
As a condition of employment, The Public will require all who report to work on-site (either at The Public Theater or any other workspace or performing location) to be up-to-date on the COVID-19 vaccine and booster, as eligible based on CDC guidelines.
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
About The Public
The Public is theater of, by, and for the people. Artist-driven, radically inclusive, and fundamentally democratic, The Public continues the work of its visionary founder Joe Papp as a
civic institution engaging, both on-stage and off, with some of the most important ideas and social issues of today. Conceived over 60 years ago as one of the nation’s first nonprofit theaters, The Public has long operated on the principles that theater is an essential cultural force and that art and culture belong to everyone. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Oskar Eustis and Executive Director Patrick Willingham, The Public’s wide breadth of programming includes an annual season of new work at its landmark home at Astor Place, Free Shakespeare in the Park at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park, The Mobile Unit touring throughout New York City’s five boroughs, Under the Radar, Public Works, Public Shakespeare Initiative, and Joe’s Pub. Since premiering HAIR in 1967, The Public continues to create the canon of American theater and is currently represented on Broadway by the Tony Award-winning musical Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda as well as other productions. Their programs and productions can also be seen regionally across the country and around the world. The Public has received 60Tony Awards, 169 Obie Awards, 53 Drama Desk Awards, 54 Lortel Awards, 32 Outer Critic Circle Awards, 13 New York Drama Desk Awards, and 6 Pulitzer Prizes.