Trade and Investment Associate (Creative, Media & Sport) - Los Angeles
About the Department for International Trade
We employ over 150 people across North America, all united by our vision of a future where we champion open and fair global trading that drives growth, creates better jobs and higher wages, and improves living standards in the UK and around the world. We seek talented team members with a passion and drive to help us promote exports to North America of British goods and services, two-way investment between the UK and North America, and mutual improved market access to help grow our bilateral trade (see www.gov.uk/DIT).
Main purpose of job:
Be a part of the Department for International Trade’s mission to drive more trade and investment between North America and the UK. With a mature, high-spending consumer market and an open, liberal economy, world-class talent and a business-friendly regulatory environment, the UK is the leading destination for foreign investment in Europe, the second highest investment destination in the world, and the world’s sixth largest exporter and the second largest services exporter.
Based at British Consulate Los Angeles the Trade & Investment Associate supports the Trade & Investment Officer within the Creative, Media & Sport sector, which includes film, television, games, sports, advertising, music, immersive technology, and more. This is an exciting opportunity to work with some of the most innovative and high profile global companies at the nexus of the world’s two leading creative economies. You will be part of the North America team with responsibility for Creative, Media & Sport, as well as being a valued contributor to the Los Angeles based regional team. You will also be working closely with regional colleagues based around the UK.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Identify and reach out to innovative companies in the Creative, Media & Sport sector interested in establishing or expanding operations and R&D opportunities in the UK to build pipeline of ambitious foreign direct investment projects.
- Support the Trade & Investment Officer in developing US market opportunities for a broad range of UK exporters
- Keep pace with market trends, incentives and centres of excellence in North America and the UK to identify commercial opportunities and provide informed advice to clients and stakeholders.
- Develop knowledge of the Creative, Media & Sport markets in the Southwest region.
- Support positive relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations, regional Creative, Media & Sport providers and other key buyers/partners within the Creative, Media & Sport sector.
- Support trade group visits and trade show events to foster economic opportunities for the UK and US.
- Support high-profile visits, including UK Ministerial and VIP delegations through scheduling high-level meetings, organising activities, and preparing briefing materials.
- Consult with clients to manage and coordinate client events.
- Support cross-team projects to advance UK prosperity and trade policy goals.
- Provide operational and administrative support including maintaining client and project databases.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a professional and helpful manner.
- Ability to undertake research and follow market trends to identify new opportunities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- An interest in, or understanding of the Creative, Media & Sport sector.
- Ability to use a variety of online and social media tools.
- Must be able to attend events outside of office hours and undertake travel within the US and UK up to 10% of your time.
As a valued member of our team we will help you to achieve your goals through continuous professional development.
Level of language required: excellent verbal and written English
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Professional experience/skills in a business, economic development or project management role.