Jubilee Year Los Angeles Fellow
Jubilee Year Los Angeles is a paid, full-time Year of Service fellowship offering a unique, diverse corps of young adults the opportunity and space to grow personally and professionally while uplifting communities, transforming lives, and critically engaging concepts of justice and equity.
Our mission is to provide young adults with the unique opportunity to engage social issues through direct service while enjoying the space to grow and learn through engagement with unique, diverse voices, ideas, and experiences that will challenge and empower them. Through this year of service and intentional community, our program equips young adults to challenge injustice and prepares them to be leaders in the pursuit of justice and equity for all people.
Each fall, JYLA recruits our corps from all across the United States to live in community and work for change by serving full-time in some of Los Angeles’ most innovative and effective social service agencies. These agencies provide corps members with meaningful engagement opportunities in exploring the problems of and possible solutions to social injustice in a city that is full of great beauty and rich culture – as well as great poverty and need.
We’ve been providing a space for exploration and discernment, pursuing social justice, and serving communities of need in LA for nearly 30 years.
We currently partner with agencies focusing on:
- Education: providing student support in special education and preschool, after school programming, athletics, activity/event supervision, arts education, college chaplaincy programming, college counseling, etc.)
- Health, wellness, and nutrition in low income communities
- Food pantry and farmer’s market co-ordination and management
- Urban gardening
- Community organizing
- Organization of non-profit online presence and web management
- Services for children who are emotionally disturbed
- Services for people who are immigrants and refugees
- Services for individuals who have been formerly incarcerated
- Services for people who are without housing or employment
Our Program Provides:
- A monthly stipend
- A community food/living allowance
- Free housing & utilities
- Annual Metro (Public Transit) Pass
- Student Loan Deferment eligibility
- Extensive support services including:
- Spiritual/Professional Mentorship
- Quarterly Retreats
- Curriculum based study and discussion opportunities
- Professional Development
- Access, interaction, and valuable networking opportunities with our extensive social and professional contacts of alumni and partners.
We are seeking applicants who:
- Are between 21-29 years old
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Are passionate about social justice, serving communities of need, and sharing new experiences
- Are ready to grow and be challenged in a supportive environment that encourages critical thinking and compassionate action
To learn more, visit www.jubileeyearla.org