Academic and Residential Advisor
Outer Coast seeks an Academic & Residential Advisor to foster a supportive and purposeful learning environment for all students at the Outer Coast Year. The Academic & Residential Advisor is responsible for providing guidance to students in all three pillars of the program: academics, self-governance, and service & labor.
During the Year and with assistance from the Outer Coast Programs and Operations staff and the Program Coordinator, the Academic & Residential Advisor supports students through successes and challenges and responds appropriately. Their primary duties are as follows:
- With the Program Coordinator and a Academic & Residential Co-Advisor, support students in their endeavors across all three pillars
- Invest in students and teammates in order to foster empathetic and productive communication
- Serve as teaching assistant for one course per term (2 consecutive courses per semester)
- Support students academically outside the classroom (ex: office hours, community study sessions)
- Stay abreast of student governance decisions and resolutions and support student projects as needed
- Challenge students to be responsible and accountable to themselves, their peers, and the program
- Help foster spaces that feel safe for all students.
- Facilitate regular discussions where students and staffulty can build and strengthen their relationships with the broader Sitka community (as is COVID-19 appropriate).
- Communicate regularly with the full staffulty team for the Year to better understand the experiences of students across all three pillars and in their residential life.
- Respond appropriately to any emergencies that arise.
The Academic & Residential Advisor will familiarize themselves with the Student Handbook and existing student life policies and procedures. The Handbook is an evolving document, subject to changes by the Student Body. The Academic & Residential Advisor should maintain familiarity with the Handbook and support students in its development.
The Academic & Residential Advisor is a visible, friendly presence for Outer Coast students, faculty, and staff. They attend meals and participate in community events whenever possible. The Academic & Residential Advisor can set their own schedule (outside required events such as class and team meetings) and is on-call for emergencies outside those times as part of a rotation with the Program Coordinator and Academic & Residential Co-Advisor.
The Academic & Residential Advisor position begins on July 1, 2021 and ends on May 5, 2022 with leave from December 15, 2021 – January 7, 2022. Compensation package totalling $40,000 inclusive of housing. Outer Coast will provide room and board, as well as a stipend to help defray travel costs, as applicable.