Transportation Engineer 2 In-Training
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking talented and innovative engineers who have a passion for creative solutions, innovation, and can provide success in collaborative efforts. We are seeking multiple entry-level, journey-level engineers or those with a projected graduation date within six months, who want to participate in supporting some of the most important infrastructure projects in Skagit, Whatcom, Island, and northern Snohomish counties. Working as a member of a dynamic Design/Construction engineering office your role will be pivotal in meeting the goals of this agency through the development of Plans, Specifications and Estimates, reviewing the work of engineers and technicians, and ensuring WSDOT standards for design, CADD, materials testing, inspection and project documentation are followed. Be a part of a team whose mission is to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to communities and businesses!
We are specifically looking to fill multiple positions in Bellingham, Burlington, and Mount Vernon.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Transportation Engineer 2 In-Training may:
- Prepare and/or review project definitions, design files, hydraulic reports, storm water reports, access reports, environmental documents, design estimates, design documentation, right of way plans, contract plans, specifications, estimates, etc.
- Project development tasks, including project field review, analyze collision data for alternate design, capacity, and hydraulics.
- Assist with the management of project schedules, scope, and budget.
- Use software programs to create horizontal alignments, earthwork, drainage analysis, elevations, profiles, cross sections, details, structural notes, quantities, and cost estimates.
- Coordinate projects with WSDOT support groups and local agencies.
- Interpret data, identify problems, and develop solutions using sound engineering judgment and guidelines on complicated transportation projects.
- Serve as an Assistant Project Inspector on complex construction projects for highways and highway structures, ensuring conformance with contract plans and specifications.
- Coordinate and communicate with contractors and clarify questions related to contract documents.
- Serve as an Assistant Office Engineer, assisting with contract payments, calculate force account payments, write change orders, track and review contractor submittals, review contractor payroll, and ensure conformance with contract requirements.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree from ABET accredited college or university with major study in civil engineering or a closely related field.
- Certified as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT)
- Effective communicator both verbal and written
- Comfortable interacting and coordinating with internal staff and external groups.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- A Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited college or university with major study in civil engineering or a closely related field AND Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT).
Additionally, the following are preferred:
- In-depth understanding of design and documentation processes
- In-depth knowledge of contract documentation and how they relate to contract administration
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office, Micro-Station, EBASE, ProjectWise, and InRoads
- Strong mathematics skills, ability to solve problems using trigonometry, algebra and geometry
- The application review will begin on March 20, 2021. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
- This position requires occasional travel, and is typically local or regional to project construction sites, or to meet with stakeholders, conduct business, or attend trainings.
- Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, this position may be remote in a telework capacity full-time. Once the restrictions are lifted, WSDOT supports a flexible work schedule with partial telework opportunities, depending on business needs and prior supervisor approval.
- This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress upward through the Transportation Engineer field and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Engineer 2. Candidates will be considered for a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2, depending on their qualifications. Annual salary levels for each position are:
- Transportation Engineer 1: $55,524 - $74,604
- Transportation Engineer 2: $61,224 - $82,344
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Cori Shull, at email@example.com. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-10343m in the subject line.