Transportation Engineer 1
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT has an exciting entry-level opportunity for a hard-working engineering professional who want to participate in supporting infrastructure projects in Washington State. Your work will support activities for construction, design, and PS&E phases of WSDOT projects. These activities are critical to project completion.
This is the entry-level position for individuals who have attained a Bachelor's degree in civil or structural engineering or will be graduating this spring/summer. Work assignments and training are designed to develop professional capabilities, and provide experience in the practical application of engineering concepts and techniques to resolve transportation issues. Assignments and related training develop skills in the broad spectrum of engineering practiced within the Department.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Assist in the inspection of construction activities, including materials inspection and testing.
- Interpret highway construction plans, specifications, and special provisions in monitoring the contractor's work.
- Take field notes, calculate quantities, and complete daily inspector reports.
- Assist the design team leader with development of transportation projects.
- Utilize personal computers for CAD and other design software, and office software (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Perform various survey tasks such as operating survey equipment, setting points and stakes, calculating distances and angles, and collecting data.
- Communicate orally and in writing with contractors, designers, other team members, support offices, and the public.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- A Bachelor's degree in Civil/Structural Engineering (or closely related degree field) OR Certification as an Engineer-in-Training OR a Land Surveyor’s license.
- Current certificate of completion of Western Alliance for Quality Transportation Construction (WAQTC) qualified tester or the ability to obtain within 24 months of hire.
- Ability to operate a motorized vehicle and maintain a valid unrestricted driver’s license.
- Solid understanding of engineering principles and mathematical formulas.
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, and apply information in WSDOT manuals.
- The ability to prepare and check calculations and field note records.
- The ability to utilize a personal computers for CAD and other design software, and office software (Word, Excel, etc.).
- The ability to operate survey equipment.
- The ability to traverse uneven terrain in all weather conditions.
- The ability to transport, manipulate, and move into position materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Strong communication skills both in the written and verbal form.
- The ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, perform stand-by and to work out of town for extended periods.
- We are currently recruiting for two Transportation Engineer 1 positions in Spokane, WA.
- This recruitment may be used to fill additional Transportation Engineer 1 positions in Spokane, WA.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- Attached college transcripts.
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2995836/transportation-engineer-1
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-ER-60154 in the subject line.