Summer Intern- Research and Early Development (Finite Element Analysis)
The Small Molecule Pharmaceutical Sciences (SMPS) Group at Genentech is seeking an intern to help expand its library of drug product process models. SMPS is responsible for the early pharmaceutical development (Ph I and II) of gRED small molecule drug molecules. The group’s mission is to develop a world-class CMC organization recognized for high quality science, innovative approaches, and ability to rapidly respond to changes in clinical development and expeditiously develop and deliver phase appropriate formulations, chemical synthesis, process characterizations and controls to enable a robust dynamic and diverse pipeline using innovation high quality science, technologies and partnerships.
- Build computational model(s) to simulate the powder discharging process from a bulk container using a commercial finite element method (FEM) software package.
- Calibrate and validate computational models using experimental data.
- Create a GUI-based application to generate relevant FEM model input files given a predetermined set of user-specified inputs describing the bulk container geometry and powder constitutive parameters.
- Knowledge of granular dynamics, continuum mechanics, material science, and mechanical design principles
- Familiarity with finite element modeling
- Experience using commercial software packages Abaqus and Matlab is a plus
Given the current uncertainty of the global pandemic and work from home situation for 2021, this internship is currently planned to be virtual with the option for interns to work remotely from within U.S. Borders. We will keep candidates informed if this changes.