Mechanical Testing Technician, Entry Level
The Naval Nuclear Laboratory is seeking a qualified candidate to perform a variety of technical and operational duties to support research and testing in a laboratory environment for the Materials Characterization Laboratory (MCL).
The MCL performs state-of-the-art testing that produces material property data used to assess the performance of materials in the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program (NNPP). The MCL is comprised of four integrated laboratories that include: mechanical testing, thermal properties, metallographic characterization, and advanced digital imaging and image analysis. MCL is hiring one person that would be interested in the following specific technical activities:
- Mechanical Testing: The specific technical activities for this position include performing fatigue and fracture mechanics testing supporting research of material performance in a laboratory environment. Technical activities include performing standard (ASTM) and non-standard testing, data collection and analysis, and detailed report generation. The non-standard, proof-of-principle testing is performed in the same laboratory and equipment as the standard testing, but there is no rigid structure to guide the process from the conceptual design phase to completion.
Operational duties for each position include directly or indirectly supporting design, operation, modification and maintenance of equipment and data acquisition systems. Troubleshooting of test setup and equipment hardware and software will require clear and concise communication with external vendors to resolve problems. Candidates may prepare work instructions and procedures and conduct data collection for analysis.
The work environment encompasses both a team and individual contributor setting.
Additional responsibilities include the understanding and application of environmental, safety, and health laboratory practices with a primary focus on safety, and inspection/monitoring. These individuals will work with support groups, including service vendors, material procurement and calibration organizations.
REQUIRED SKILLS *
- High School diploma or equivalent and a minimum of six years of relevant experience; or
- Associate degree in technical, engineering, or science-related discipline from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of relevant experience
- High School diploma or equivalent and a minimum of eight years of relevant experience; or
- Associate degree in technical, engineering, or science-related discipline from an accredited college or university and a minimum of four years of relevant experience; or
- Bachelor degree in engineering technology discipline from an accredited college or university
- Experience reading drawings and sketches
- Experience writing test procedures
- Hands-on experience with varied common hand tools
- Educational and/or work experience using test equipment and data acquisition software
- Demonstrated hands-on laboratory or industrial environment experience
- Knowledge and experience with environmental, safety and health requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience with the maintenance, qualification, verification and operation of test equipment
- Ability to work independently and in a group setting and balance multiple work efforts
- Ability to demonstrate clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Mechanical Testing
- Experience with load frame testing, general hydraulic and vacuum systems
- Ability and experience troubleshooting electrical components and controllers